HOME FOR SALE– 5825 SW PLYMOUTH DRIVE CORVALLIS OREGON– $675,000
Rare, well-maintained vintage Victorian farmhouse on 4.16 acres with barn, greenhouse, workshop and 2-car garage with full attic for storage. Beautifully preserved original woodwork and hardware throughout. Built-in cabinets and bookshelves in dining room and office/family room. Eat-in, farm style kitchen has plenty of storage and counters, including large center island. Lovely pastoral, garden, orchard, and wooded views from every window. Lush gardens, orchard, pasture and woods, deer fenced with drip irrigation. There are 20 varieties of roses and many other mature shrubs and trees. Surrounded by beautiful fields and farmland, the perfect setting for close-in country living. A wonderful place to gather together family and friends with room to roam, pick berries and fruit, make cider and raise animals as pets or for 4-H.
3 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, ±2456 sq. ft. on 4.16 acres
2-car detached garage • Year Built: 1895 • Schools: Adams Elementary, Linus Pauling Middle, Corvallis High
MLS#751298 • 2018-2019 Taxes: $2161
-Vintage Victorian farmhouse, “Cooper House”, listed on the Benton County Historical Register
-Double parlor with original sliding door and reproduction wallpaper from the Victorian Collectibles of Milwaukee, Wisconsin Brillion Collection, custom colored to match interior paint
-Orchards and gardens feature many fruits including various varieties of apples, pears, plums, filberts, figs, grapes, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, blueberries, garlic, and asparagus
-Historical plants include grapes on the west arbor (said to be brought west by pioneers) and Baldwin apple tree in orchard (from the original pioneer orchard).
-20 varieties of roses and many mature shrubs and trees
-Updated electrical with 300 amp service
-Updated plumbing, iron pipes were replaced with copper
-Newer roof (2015) with fully transferable lifetime warranty to one new owner within 10 years, plus 10-year guarantee from Renaissance Roofing
Historical Background & Significance
The George Cooper House is a good example of a Rural Vernacular farmhouse in Benton County. The house is associated with the Cooper Family, early farmers in the Plymouth Community of Benton County. George Cooper is the son of James Cooper who purchased a farm in the Plymouth Community in 1866. The land on which the current house was built was not part of the original James Cooper farm. The current land was transferred to Thomas and Francis Cooper, George’s brothers, in 1888. The land was deeded to the Coopers by Morris Allen, a former brother-in-law. In 1895, George Cooper married Margaret Newton, daughter of Gamaliel Newton. Gamaliel Newton was the son of Abiathar Newton, head of the Newton clan in Benton County. The Newtons settled this portion of Benton County in 1847. Presumably the current house was built for George and Margaret Cooper shortly after their marriage. (Francis Cooper died in 1891 and Thomas Cooper lived on another farm). In 1900, George and Margaret Cooper transferred their title to this property to Mrs. Cornelia
Woodward, a relative. It is likely that the Coopers occupied this farm for several more years however before moving to Corvallis where George Cooper became a partner in the hardware firm of Cooper and Newton. This firm was eventually purchased by the Whiteside Brothers, also relatives of the Coopers. Elias and Catherine Woodward sold this property to Winona Caves in 1919. Other owners of the property included Dr. Ray Peffer and his wife Mary. The current owners purchased the house in 1975.
Source: Benton County Cultural Resources Survey II
Survey is dated 3/22/1985 and is believed accurate as of that date